Friday, January 9, 2009

My TV and I have broken up

Whoever said sleep is supposed to heal, I say they're full of crap and I'm quietly judging them right now.

You see, yesterday, I stayed home from work and cursed anything and everyone from my futon while I wallowed in kleenex, Advil, and cranberry juice. That said, lacking the cure for the common cold, I COUNTED on my TV coming through for me. And, like the CTA on a weekend, it let me down. I turned it on in the morning in anticipation of a day of bad (but oh so good) daytime television, and you know what I got...heartache and disappointment. In other words - black and white snow. I attempted to mess with the wires on the cable box and TV, but fatigued and sweaty thanks to my overtaxed white blood cells, I gave up after 15 minutes and switched to DVDs. I watched a couple of my favorite action films, but then switched to my other film love - French films. I finished out with The Triplets of Belleville, which is brilliant by the way, and went to bed to attempt to recover from both my cold and my disappointment in my cable.

My this morning, it only got worse...I went to watch The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, and got...sound, but no picture. What?!?! How am I supposed to heal without my Mathieu Amalric fix? I messed with some wires again, to no avail, and then did the only thing I could think of...called my parents to whine.

Long story short, my dad passed on some sage advice, and this evening after switching my cable boxes around, I discovered that the fault lies not with my cable or my DVD player, but with my TV. Sad face...

Now granted, the TV is oh, about 5 or so years old, and has been moved from Indianapolis to DC to Chicago and has now been owned by both Hall sisters, but I have expectations!! My 15 year old tiny 13 inch TV is still in fine form, and I have taken that thing everywhere and played it constantly...that is love and devotion, and for that I applaud Sharp. In fact, I give that company mad props. But my other TV, nothing - it's a sad monument to failed electronics everywhere.

So what's a girl to do? Well, actually, I called my parents again to whine. And now I'm looking for a new TV. If anyone knows where I can get a 1080p, 72-inch, LCD for $400 - let me know...because that would be a happy magical place where I would like to shop.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There may be help on the way !

NEAR said...

I have a 12 or 14-inch TV that used to be Destiny's. You are welcome to it. They bought new HD tvs, and they don't want this one. Just let me know!!!!!
(Also have a pretty big TV that doesn't work, but maybe could be fixed. You can have that as well.)
Love you,
AN

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

I think Sugar sabotaged it while you were sleeping...

Holden said...

Triplets of Belleville is awesome! Nice pick!