Monday, January 19, 2009

Monday, Monday

Monday Monday, so good to me,
Monday Monday, it was all I hoped it would be
Oh Monday morning, Monday morning couldn't guarantee
That Monday evening you would still be here with me.

Every other day, every other day,
Every other day of the week is FINEEEEE, YEAHHHHH
But whenever Monday comes, but whenever Monday comes
You can find me cryin' all of the time

Unlike last weekend, when I spent my time and energy cursing the gods of coughing and sinus problems, this past week has been both busy and highly entertaining. A week ago, I attended Madame Butterfly with my friend as part of our Lyric subscription. And I have to say, I have the same relationship with this opera that I have with Othello (both the opera and the play), and that is a love/hate relationship. I love the music and the drama and the tragedy, but I find myself saying to Pinkerton (Madame Butterfly's love interest), "You idiot!! You jerk!! You a**hole!!!!" (Sorry, mom, but I do.) At the end of Act I, he sings this beautiful duet with MB, and the whole time he knows he's going to leave her. And you know this whole thing isn't going to end well. It's like a car wreck that you just can't look away from. That said...still some of my favorite music.

Fast forward two French classes and four work days, and I'm out with some friends going to see one of my favorite things in Chicago - IO's Improv Shakespeare. Picture six dudes, one audience suggested title, and then a long-form improv show in Shakespearean style. I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard.

Saturday was House of Blues to see Superdiamond - a Neil Diamond tribute band. One of the best concerts I've ever seen...the singer moved and sounded just like the real Neil Diamond...it was so freaky at first!! But the band was incredible and some of the traditional songs got some added funkiness - making for a rocking concert that I can't not WAIT to see again.

By last night, I had completely fallen from the high art that is the Lyric Opera of Chicago to see My Bloody Valentine 3D. It probably won't add anything major to the genre of horror films, but the use of 3D was pretty sweet and it's always fun to be part of an audience that reacts to the film. Plus, I saw a preview for this movie which looks really inventive and interesting. Plus, my Hyde Park peeps introduced me to this show afterwards, which is freaking hilarious - particularly the David Bowie episode.

Altogether a rather brilliant weekend...

And today, well, back to reality with cleaning, laundry, and the like...no cryin' however, despite what the Mamas and the Papas say.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish the music was playing with this blog !! You can't beat the "old" stuff !
I understand your frustration with the tragedy in MB.....it is a pain in the a**. HA !
HAPPY #68 BIRTHDAY to the REAL NEIL D. on Jan. 24th !!! I will be rockin' to Holly Holy.

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

You'd never seen Flight of the Conchords before?! Haha. You'll love it... -the DCGF