Sunday, November 2, 2008

I Dream of Paris in Black and White

I've been told that a person can tell they are truly learning a foreign language when the begin to dream in that language.

That last several days, I've been dreaming in French...in black & white.

I start my French classes at the Alliance Francaise again in a week. I will be in a Level 14 class - my 11th at the Alliance. The classes have become a huge part of my life. I count my classmates as dear friends, and wonder what I would do without being able to see them twice a week.

Granted, sometimes I wonder what I'm doing - the classes are very expensive and can be time consuming and in this economy I should probably be saving my money.

But I can't bring myself to say au revoir. I have an ongoing passionate love affair with French language and culture, and hold the hope that one day I will live in the City of Lights.

And whenever I'm frustrated trying to master the subjonctif, or can't remember the words that I want to say, I remember how beautiful the language is, even though I may be messing it up.

So when I started dreaming in French, I was thrilled - still am. In my dreams I can speak it perfectly and understand all, and I'm always in Paris. I'm not sure why in black & white - maybe too many French art films and still photography.

Regardless, in a week, I will pack up my workbooks and dictionary, welcome back my witty and intelligent classmates, follow the guidance of my brilliant instructor, and wonder when my real life will catch up to my dreams.

3 comments:

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

Weirdo. -the DCGF

Anonymous said...

Keep dreaming and maybe the colors will come !! Try another city and see what happens ! ha

hbonwit said...

My friend Andy shared his "Consummately French" experiences of his 6-day layover in France (on the way to Turkey). Check it:
http://andyherm.com/travels/archives/105

-HB