Monday, November 3, 2008

Miraculous Manon

Whoops!! A little late on my opera blog post...my sincerest apologies dear readers. One week ago, I once again graced the Lyric Opera with my presence in order to witness the brilliancy that was Jules Massenet's Manon. The Chicago Tribune had the following to say about this production:

"She came, she saw, she conquered...the ovation Dessay received was one of the longest and loudest in recent Lyric history."

Yes, Tribune, I concur.

Manon was amazing...I had heard others raving about it before I went, and that always makes me suspect. But alas, true to their word, I was entranced from the moment the curtain went up. Natalie Dessay was truly spectacular, and even a last minute tenor swap didn't alter the soring beauty of the opera. The set was multi-faceted and with the movement of just a few props, the mood was completely altered.

While this probably won't end up in my Top 5, I definitely enjoyed it and will continue to. Favorite part? Understanding the French that was being sung WITHOUT the surtitles...oh, yeeeahhh...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you understand in black and white ?? (:-)

EmilyHaHa said...

Oh L’histoire du chevalier des Grieux et de Manon Lescaut! You never fail to excite...