Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Resolution...hmmm

I really, truly, wholeheartedly suck at New Year's resolutions. Usually by April, I can barely remember what it is, anyway. Last year's attempt at my monthly goals ended at May - although, justifiably, the months I did complete were rather succesful. I guess what I'm trying to say is I seem to have turned into a non goal-oriented person, except for two key situations: 1) competition - if I'm in it to win, then I will do everything I can, or 2) someone tells me I can't - that's a guaranteed way to get me to do something. Then again, I'm always thinking about the next best thing, or what I can do next, or where I'm going. So, not sure where that leaves me exactly, but obviously I haven't learned my lesson, as I am once again going to make a New Year's resolution.

But first I should say that 2008 has been both an eventful year for me, as well as an uneventful year.

Confused yet? So am I.

This past year, I lived in one city for the whole calendar year - that hasn't happened since I was in high school. I stayed at the same job for a whole calendar year for the first time ever. I took French classes all year, made new friends and kept the old. I've really enjoyed Chicago and witnessed some great events like Obama's election partay. However, my wanderlust is starting to appear slowly, yet persistently. So, what's a girl to do?

That's where my resolution comes in. In 2009, I commit to being more adventurous, more spontaneous, more willing to try new and unusual things.

I was recently inspired by these guys. Now, I'll be honest, by no means will I be attempting to do the same thing...ha! That would be incredible, but maybe something a little less ambitious, yes?

To that end, I'm leaving the resolution extremely general on purpose. Hopefully being adventurous will mean creating new experiences and just pushing myself out of my comfort zone in general. I really have no idea. What I do know is that I'm ready to live fully in the moment and push my limits. While I have set my 100/10 goals, and I love working on them, I also don't want to be defined by just those, but instead hopefully they will evolve with me.

I have no idea what 2009 will bring - and I really can't wait.

6 comments:

Ryan Smock said...

Dear Katy,

I've never thought of life as being lived on train tracks; but it seems the more I read Renee Girard, the more likely I am to accept or at least understand that perspective. Trains can only go where their tracks lead them, unfortunately, so in one sense of the metaphor we are confined by our interests. We usually do not venture far from what we enjoy or consecrate, and therein lies our pitfall. We cannot improve ourselves by remaining in a "comfort zone." We can only do so by emulating those two boys you referenced. They venture away from safety, security, and comfort; challenge the elements; and discover just how far they can go.

That you list being spontaneous or adventurous in your resolutions shows you desire to occasionally step off the tracks. C'est une bonne chose!

A redeeming view of the train metaphor is perhaps that it seems to follow the creed purported by the film Meet the Robinsons: "keep moving forward." We do not usually think of trains in terms of backing up. This is not their "job," Aristotle might say. Their job is to transport things - to keep moving forward. When we do see a train backing up, it is usually only to correct some error or establish some connection. These periods are very brief compared to the time spent traveling, lending to the metaphor an ambulatory nature. Stopping to smell the flowers and taking a break become trite ideas, cliches which do more to support their opposites. A stationary train is never truly happy.

Perhaps you are much like the train in this respect.

There's another quote that comes to mind when I try to think of life as being lived on the tracks. In the video game Final Fantasy VII, Barret Wallace gives a short speech in which he says, "there ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!" At first he means it literally, for he and other characters are aboard a train bound for their mission site. Later in the game, though, his phrase serves as a metaphor: the characters have made certain decisions which must be seen through, and destiny is ever calling them forward. The metaphor works for us, too, if we view the train as our dispositions and the tracks as the life events over which we have no control - "destiny," so to say. Switches and transfers lead to higher or lower grounds, lighter or darker territories, fuel and repair stations, and passenger terminals.

While executing your resolutions, keep in mind the passengers and cargo you take on and let off. Happy New Year, Katy the Train.

Cheers,

David R. Smock

EmilyHaHa said...

Uh, yeah... What he said.

KT said...

Thanks, David, for your thoughts!!

Ryan Smock said...

Just trying to understand you. :)

Anonymous said...

I make a resolution to not make any resolutions !!

NEAR said...

UH,WHAT??????????