Thursday, October 9, 2008

Try not to cry when you know...


I had read reviews of the book and was intrigued...


I entered the bookstore never intending to buy it...


I read the dedication page standing in the biography aisle...


I purchased it immediately and left the store...


I eyed it during work, wishing I was reading it instead...


I went home, talked on the phone, made some dinner, and cleaned...


I settled down late to read a few chapters...


I read about the struggle of growing up in Cambodia...


The violence, the terror, and willfullness of the Khmer Rouge...


The struggle of a young girl and the obedience her culture demanded...


I read her story of abuse and forced prostitution...


Of the pain, the filth, and the terror...


I listened to her speak of escape, shame, and the difficulty of recovery...


I followed her as she rose above it, and began to help others...


I felt her disgust at the increased violence that girls as young as five face every day...


Of the blind eye turned by the government and the corruption at every corner...


I read of her journey to overcome and the generosity of others...


Two hours later I had finished the book...eight hours later, I can't get it out of my mind.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW !!! Your blog gives me chills....and the desire to read the book. We have no idea what some people endure. And how can humans be so very cruel to others !?

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

Dang! It only took you two hours? -the DCGF

Anonymous said...

An outstanding read !!