Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I heart Halloween

I mean, who doesn't? Granted, I'm not a dress up in a skanky costume and go partying sort of Halloween girl. I'm more of a "Hey, the History Channel is running a bunch of history of witchcraft specials and I can wear my skull gloves around," sort of Halloween person. I love scary movies even though they scare me to death and the brisk fall weather only adds to the ambience of the holiday. And Halloween deserves to be celebrated - numerous church leaders over hundreds of years have tried to suppress it and still it goes on!!

But the month of October in and of itself is also a wonderful time. I can finally break out the hot spiced cider, hooded sweatshirts, knitted hats, and enjoy the fall leaves. In my youth, the annual trip to the orchard was always hotly anticipated, but sadly most workplaces don't sponsor those kind of trips.

Yet there is another, equally entertaining, October tradition - the Covered Bridge Festival in Parke County, Indiana - home to the world famous grandparents/aunt/great aunt/cousins of yours truly. And it is good. No one can resist the siren song of hot, sugary crullers. This past weekend I hopped the Megabus to Indy and joined the parental units as we journeyed west for crafts, fall foliage, farm country, and great food. What could be better?

But seriously, nothing is better than fried dough covered in sugar...nothing...












4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE hot crullers !!! And cool mornings and turning leaves to go with them. It's nice to escape to the beautiful rural areas and enjoy nature at it's best. I'm going to go have a cup of cider right now !

Melear said...

Mmmm...fried dough. :)

Holden said...

How come people actually buy the regular puffy donuts when they have the opportunity to buy crullers!? Sometimes I lose hope in humanity when I see just the glazed donuts, but my pride as part of the human race returns when I spot a cruller -- maybe even a maple glazed one -- sitting on a lonely tray, just asking potential customers for the chance to make one of us happy, if only for a moment.

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

Crullers... -drool- -the DCGF