Sunday, October 5, 2008

American Girl

So, this Friday, I did what every typical twenty-something single girl does - I attended the opening of the new American Girl store.

Yes, you read right, American Girl. Me, one of the least girly, doll-loving people I know. I had some Cabbage Patches in my day, and so did my sis. But instead of carrying them around or putting them in a stroller, we created scenarios like "Cabbage Patch Hospital" or "Cabbage Patch Kidnapping." I'm pretty sure our mom was a little concerned more than once.

However, we both were big readers and did in fact read most of the American Girl series during our local library's summer reading program. If I remember correctly, Em always preferred Molly, a spunky girl growing up in World War II America. I preferred Felicity, the fourth girl in the series whose story is set during the America Revolution. The books were well-written and being the history buff that I am, I enjoyed the facts about the time period included in at the end.
Em and I used the receive the catalogues in the mail when we were little and it was always fun to look through.

That said, I'm still slightly scared by the phenomenon that is the American Girl Doll empire.

Last Friday, however, I put my fear of the American Girl store aside and attended the opening of the huge (and I mean huge) new store in Water Tower Place on Michigan Ave. Seriously, it was like walking into a different world. Two stories and I don't know how many square feet later, I had seen an entire section dedicated to just the "historical" dolls, an AG photo booth, two more sections of "baby" dolls, then on the second floor, I witnessed a doll salon, doll craft area, doll hospital, doll sweets cafe (with doll-sized treats), and a restaurant that sported doll size chairs so a little girl could eat with her American Girl.


I'm pretty sure somewhere along the way, my jaw literally dropped. The concept of a recession was nowhere to be seen inside this new store as parents indulged their fashionable daughters' need for dolls and accessories. I don't necessarily say this with a negative tone. Most of the little girls I saw where very well behaved - no tantrums, no crying - but they were genuinely dedicated to their dolls and equally protective. My favorite was a girl watching her dolls face get cleaned at the doll hospital - she was very concerned and kept a watchful eye on the doll like any good parent.

And, while part of me was overwhelmed and slightly horrified by the sheer number of doll items surrounding me at every turn, overall, it was a pretty cool experience. After awhile, I went and picked out a few things for my AG-crazy cousins, and then made my way over to the area where Felicity and her accessories were displayed...I still coveted the green riding habit that she wore, even after all these years...who knew?

But as I grabbed my goody bag and headed out, I realized that inside that store was a complete fantasy land for little girls and their moms...or the several indulgent dads I had just left behind. And I wondered what the attraction was...for me, I had always loved the books and the stories that had been created. I saw no one that night carrying around any of the books behind the dolls, something I find a little sad.

At the end of the night, I shook off the saccharine sweetness of the American Girl Store and hit up a Borders to get some equilibrium. I'm definitely glad, however, that I got a peek inside the new store and the pure craziness that is the American Girl empire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The store sounds like a fun place to escape to ! Nothing wrong with some passion in a little one's life ! And passion runs high in the AG world, and hopefully some still read the books. This past summer,a lot of moms and daughters, ladened with AG dolls and shopping bags, looked very tired and happy as I watched them descend from an Amtrak ride from Chicago :) AND that was before the new store opened !!

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

What was in the goody bag, yo? -the DCGF

Anonymous said...

Great review of the new AG store. The stoe sounds great but still expensive!