Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Thank you, Liberty Mutual

Please watch the below commercial, first.




Alas, now that you've seen this brilliant commercial from Libery Mutual (thanks, Dad, for remembering the name of the company!), I can tell you a story.

First of all, I've fulfilled another one of my 100 goals...39) Help a perfect stranger.

When I landed in JFK from Lucerne, I needed to grab my baggage, go through customs, then re-check the baggage for my flight to Chicago. Waiting for my suitcase, I was really tired, very hungry, and slightly irritable. I was waiting, waiting, waiting for my suitcase when all of the sudden the tiny, elderly lady next to me put her hand on my arm and said "Oh dear, I don't think I can reach that." I quickly asked her which suitcase was hers - it was a huge red one stuck on top of another suitcase. I lunged for the suitcase, which had to weigh as much as she did, and set it down on the floor and popped up the handle for her. With a "thank you" and a pat on my shoulder, she was on her way.

But the tale of goodness doesn't stop there!

The guy next to me had seen the whole thing. He grabbed his suitcase and left the luggage claim before me, but then he paused at the door to customs, and held it open for a guy whose hands were full.

Then that guy, I saw later on after customs. He saw a child in a stroller throw a toy on the floor - and bent down and picked it up and handed it back to the kid.

JUST LIKE THE COMMERCIAL.

After I paused to wonder if the Liberty Mutual commercial was actually an exercise in brainwashing, I realized that that situation was so cool! I had seen three of us help strangers, and it actually felt good. In a world where more people would probably run you over, than lend a hand, I was heartened to see that a few acts of simple kindness can make the day a little easier for someone.

I was still tired and hungry, but no longer irritable.

5 comments:

Vita said...

And people called "Pay It Forward" a fairy tale. You go, lady!

(Can't wait to hear about the tour! Was your wanderlust duly satisfied?)

Anonymous said...

You've been helping others since you were a tiny tot !! You never hesitated to do a kind deed to be helpful. And teachers always saw that in you and put you in charge of ones that needed that touch of kindness in their lives.
We all should remember and practice a kind deed every day of our lives ! And it's nice to be a recipient once in awhile.....

DYonto said...

I have to say that is one of my favorite commercials. I certainly enjoyed your story as well. I hope you are doing well.

rahree said...

yay! i'll try it today at work...we'll see how it goes!

thanks for the inspiration! [and yes, you get the credit, rather than liberty mutual]:)

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

Aack - I KNEW it was Liberty Mutual. State Farm Insurance - ha! -the DCGF