Monday, July 28, 2008

Pour me a drink, And I'll tell you some lies

Neil. Diamond.

Two little words...one legend...I was lucky enough to see him TWICE this weekend at the United Center.

That's right, folks, this weekend was Neil Diamond Weekend '08.

Saturday, I went with Mom "Biggest Neil Fan Ever" Hall. And the concert definitely lived up to the two expectations I have for a Neil Diamond concert - amazing music and public intoxication. I'm not sure why, but each concert I attend (this weekend was 6 and 7), I always am surrounded by alcohol-loving Neil fans. I never thought my '05 experience could be topped - it's not every year, a 30-something fan stands up and yells, "It's f***in' 'I Am, I Said'." But this year's drunken woman was dancing in the aisles when she grabbed a young bloke returning to his seat and started dancing with him. It didn't end until his furious girlfriend stormed down the stairs to get him - hilarious!

Nothing quite as exciting took place the second night (Sunday), but good times were had nonetheless and I met some very nice Neil-fans from Wisconsin who had driven down for the concert. Plus, it was my friend's first Neil concert - now she has truly lived.

But I know there are those of you out there who haven't had the divine experience that is a Neil Diamond concert. So, being the kind-hearted, generous person I am, I've listed below some choice Neil songs to experience, and the best time in which to listen to them.

Cherry, Cherry - Getting ready for super fun party times...Can't stand still while the music is playin'

I Got the Feelin' - When you're ready to break up with someone...I got the feelin', I'm hearin' goodbye

I Thank the Lord for the Nightime - Monday mornings - all of them...Nine-to-five ain't takin' me where I'm bound

Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon - When you're feelin' a little unsure...I'd die for you girl and all they can say is"He's not your kind"

Red, Red Wine - Bad memories? Rough day? Weird family?...Red, red wine, Go to my head

Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show - Feelin' the love?...Take my hand in yours, Walk with me this day

Cracklin' Rosie - Awesome song for cross-country roadtrips...Cracklin' Rosie you're a store-bought woman

I Am I Said - Moved to a new city and feelin' lonely...An no one heard at all, Not even the chair

I'm a Believer - Currently in the first bloom of a new relationship? Getting ready to watch Shrek?...Not a trace of doubt in my mind, I'm in love

Play Me - During sweet, sweet seduction (this is hypothetical...if it works, let me know!)...You are the sun, I am the moon, You are the words, I am the tune, Play me

Love on the Rocks - Best. Breakup. Song. Ever. Pour yourself a drink, crank the music, stumble around your apartment singing at the top of your lungs (not hypothetical....definitely works)..First, they say they want you, How they really need you, Suddenly you find you're out there, Walking in a storm

Sweet Caroline - If you've spent anytime in a bar, you'll hear this...Good times never seemed so good

Forever in Blue Jeans - When you can't decide what to wear...I'd much rather be, Forever in blue jeans

Pretty Amazing Grace - When you're thankful...In Your amazing grace I had a vision, From that amazing place I came to be, Into the night I wandered, Wandering aimlessly, Found Your amazing grace to comfort me.


There's many, many more great songs - I mean, the man sells out stadiums without needing any airplay!

For all my fellow fans, which songs do you love????

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a GREAT blog and wonderful tribute to a great song writer !!That's all he wanted to be, you know. I vote for ALL his songs....
"The Story of My Life" is one that gets overlooked. Listen to it and tell me where it takes you.
Thanks for going to the concert with me !! It was the best.

Melear said...

Amazing! I'm glad you had a great time....both times. :)

NEAR said...

Sweet Katyline-

Your mom did good!!! Another Neil fan, and I know you had a great time together!!!


Love,
Aunt Nancy

Anonymous said...

Neil was wonderful in Indy but the Chicago crowd ROCKED !!!!

EmilyHaHa said...

Wow - you spent a LOT of time on this post. Just sayin'... -the DCGF