Thursday, July 24, 2008

Anglophilia and such

I (heart) England. I loved studying there and experiencing London. I loved the chance to travel around the country and see Stonehenge's ancientness, pretend I was in a Jane Austen novel in Bath, and make a pilgrimage to Thomas a Becket's tomb. And while the country is currently struggling with both a bad economy and increasing violence, I still take comfort in my memories of living there.

In fact, whenever I need "easy" reading - books for fun on a Friday night or something for my daily commute, I find myself reaching for some historical fiction - British style.

I'm usually in the middle of several books and right now the list is:

-Cromwell by Antonia Frasier
-The Years of Extermination (Nazi Germany and the Jews 1939-1945) by Saul Friedlander
-The Story of French by Jean-Benoit Nadeau
-Doomsday Men (The Real Dr. Strangelove and the Dream of the Superweapon) by P.D. Smith

Not really what one would call "light" reading. But you couldn't pry my history books from me with a crow bar - others have tried, all have failed.

But every once awhile, I just need something that's fun, witty, and easy.

Thus, my recent addiction to two authors that write great historical mysteries with smart, sassy women as the main protaganist. Both sets of books are set in Regency England and are extremely well-written. I've gotten my Mom addicted to them as well.

The first author, Tasha Alexander, is a fellow Domer. The second author, Deanna Raybourn, has her own blog and is also a self-professed Anglophile. Both authors are obviously well-read themselves and write with knowledge of the events and culture of the time in which they set their stories. Plus the writing is brilliant and I can never put the book down without having finished it!!!

Raybourn's blog is particularly entertaining, and at times, completely random. And while I usually have GB on the brain, there are countries all over the world that I yet to explore - either through books or on a plane.

This point was especially brought home after my attempts to play this game. Don't blame me when you get frustrated:)

The kicker - you have to spell them right - I knew Azerbaijan existed, I just couldn't spell it:)

No comments: