Thursday, February 14, 2008

“Give me yesterday's Bread, this Day's Flesh, and last Year's Cyder.”

Aww, Benjamin Franklin, you're so clever.

But, alas, until Lent is over, my friends, I can have this Day's Flesh (although that phrase is little gross), and last Year's Cyder (mmm...cider), but no yesterday's Bread for me.

That's right folks, I gave up bread for Lent.

Now, before you think this is some sort of twisted way of putting myself on a diet, it's really not!

After attending a beautiful Ash Wednesday service where the homily was on how Lent is a season of self-sacrifice and restraint, I started thinking about what this year's commitment would be.

I know you're saying right now, "But Katy, dear girl, you already gave up DVDs for 30 days, what bigger sacrifice is there for you?"

Let's be honest here, between you and me...I love me some bread. Mmm...bagel....mmm...pizza....mmm, Italian bread. I readily indulge and think nothing of it, carbs forgotten.

But this is less a practice in giving up grains, and more of challenging myself to do without - regardless of what I'm giving up. When I told my friend Little Ms. Bossy about this, she seemed slightly horrified, but wished me good luck - as she ate a roll...hahaha. But I know that is an exercise in thinking daily about what I do and how I can control things in moderation. A time for me to think in different terms about how I live and act. This bread thing is deep people, deep.



So we'll see...one successful week plus one day and counting.



Grant that I may become beautiful in my soul within, and that all my external possessions may be in harmony with my inner self. May I consider the wise to be rich, and may I have such riches as only a person of self-restraint can bear or endure.
~Plato

2 comments:

EmilyHaHa said...

What about crackers, cracker?

Anonymous said...

MMMMMM....combos !!! Are those still allowed ?