Friday, October 12, 2007

Saturday Night Fever



In my never ending quest to avoid the gym, but still stay in shape, I got it in my head to take dance class once a week. In order to get variety, I took a basic jazz class. During most classes, it's the normal, Broadway-esque moves to music. This past Wednesday though, we danced to a blast from the past, and it was once again confirmed for me that I just might have been born in the wrong era.

Picture this, you're in a club, shakin' watcha mama gave ya and rockin' it right. Suddenly, some guy is behind you grinding like it's going out of style and any aspect of "personal space" is a thing of the past. Not cool...and not hot, either...Seriously

Now, picture this, the music's hot, everyone is rockin' out with smooth moves and some kickin' threads. Suddenly the floor lights up and Donna Summer is dancin' her last dance'. Oh yeah, I'm saying it...disco, my friend. Love it or hate it, no one can stand still when the music comes on.

How is this all connected? Because this past Wednesday, my jazz class ended with some mad disco moves. We did it all - guns at the hips, strutting, posing, the crossed arms while pointing with two fingers, and yes, the infamous hip thrust/point the finger up made famous in Saturday Night Fever. While visions of John Travolta danced in my head, the class learned the routine, and not ONE person could finish it without cracking a big grin - who doesn't know disco? Who isn't at least somewhat impressed with the moves and the music that goes hand in hand? Who isn't impressed with Travolta's moves in Saturday Night Fever and his hot pants in Staying Alive? The best thing since Sean Connery in Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

But I digress...what I'm trying to say is that the disco finale to my Wednesday class made me yearn for the time when "clubbing" didn't mean getting drunk, rubbing against total strangers, or music that can sometimes make the ears bleed. Don't get me wrong, I love to hit the dance floor as much as anyone else, but I have to say, sometimes I wish that disco might not have had to have it's "last dance."

1 comment:

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

What about getting total strangers drunk and then making them bleed? Is THAT more fun? Think about it.