Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Back to the Midwest

So, really, I'm a failure when it comes to blogging. BUT with a new city, a new job, and a new apartment, I feel (wait for it) newly inspired. Winding down my almost two-month stint as the posterchild for wild happiness, I am settling down in Chicago and figuring out what exactly I'm doing - yes, who's excited? Between moving, figuring out the bus system, and vainly teaching Sugar that Taco Bell's idea of fourthmeal does not apply to cats, it's been a little crazy. My ND friend, we'll call her Sarita, has been visiting these past couple days and reminded me how far I've coming from the Domer life - 3 years and counting. And here I am now, starting my second year in corporate development after swearing up one side and down the other I would never be a fundraiser. Note to self: no more swearing. When I tell people that I work in arts administration, I find myself continually trying to explain exactly what that is and why I would choose that career, and does that mean I'm a performer? I'm sorry to say that no one wants to hear me sing/play an instrument unless some sort of alcohol is involved - on their part:) But to continually be intertwined into the world of performance and knowing that I raise money that makes it happen is why I do what I do. I may not be able to call a show, direct a scene, or lead a rehearsal, but I can write proposals, conduct research, and whip up final reports like a champ. And yes, it's thrilling, and don't knock it 'til you've tried it:) Plus, sitting in an empty box watching the CSO peformance, led by Riccardo Muti, of Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 (my personal fave) just makes it all worth it.

4 comments:

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

This is a great blog! I lurve it. Please post at least twice more before quitting. -the DCGF

KT said...

Yes, I'm going to go crazy and try for four times - twill be awesome...totes

Unknown said...

The two concerts Muti led here in Chicago were phenomenal! Chicago is truly blessed to have the CSO, Lyric Opera and the Grant Park Music Festival. All of these cannot happen without people like you working tireleslly behind the scenes. Here is a big "Thank you" for what you do!

KT said...

Hey Stickles - thanks for the "thank you." Muti is amazing - he is on tour right now with the CSO in Europe and the reports have been glowing!