Monday, June 1, 2009

In which I discover that I am not that sentimental

This past weekend, I celebrated the bachelorette-ness of one of my former ND roommates who is set to be married this summer. I would like to point out that this is the second former roommate to be married in less than 365 days...oy vay! I am certainly thrilled for them both, however! Both girls are married/to be married to some of the best guys that I have ever met and each couple is made for each other. An ideal situation of the married state, n'est-ce pas?

Yet, at the same time a wave of nostalgia swept over me on Saturday between glasses of wine and the ridiculousness of bachelorette party games. Nostalgia for the days when I worried about grades instead of paychecks, what to eat at the dining hall instead of what to buy at the grocery, and walking across campus (15 minutes) to crossing the city (up to two hours).

Then after a minute of reminiscing I thought, who am I kidding? Hell no I don't want to be in college anymore...or even my early twenties for that matter. I'm over it like nobody's business. Gone are the days of group bathrooms, requisite swimming classes, blue books, and sweating it out during finals. Gone are the days of going to grad school full-time while working two jobs, accounting class at 9:30am, and internship applications (I still own about 200 manila envelopes if anyone needs any, by the way).

Instead I now have my own apartment, voluntary classes (vive le francais), income, and a cute chubby kitty. I have great clothes among which are a few designer labels, the freedom to choose the work that I love, and am well above the legal drinking age. As I say rather too frequently, totes awesome!

So as I look forward to my five year reunion at Notre Dame this weekend, I go with a readiness to see old friends, a fear of the mattresses in the boys dorm in which the Class of 2004 will be staying, and the happiness that while my years there made me the person I am today, I in no way feel the need to relive them over and over.

Now if I could just get those pesky student loans to go away.

2 comments:

Vita said...

If you keep throwing around phrases like "9:30am accounting," I might have to postpone my Chicago trip. Indefinitely.

(Speaking of, I might be in the area in 2.5 weeks! Details forthcoming.)

KT said...

Yay, come to Chicago...no mention of accounting will me made, je promis!!