Sunday, June 7, 2009

God. Country. Notre Dame...Me

This past weekend I attended my five year reunion at my alma mater, University of Notre Dame...and good times were had by all. Thursday night, my ex-roommie LW drove down from Madison and stayed the night, then Friday morning we skipped the light fantastic over to South Bend to get the party started! And a party it was...

The weekend was full of reminiscing, taking pictures, catching up with old friends, and long walks around campus. It included lunching at the dining hall, picnicking in front of the stadium, and free wine from 3pm to 1am. I thought of all the good times, and a few less than good. I exchanged stories with friends about marching band, dances, dorm craziness, and squirrel chases. I slept in a dorm room and realized I didn't miss that aspect of college at all!

I took several trips to the grotto and ached for all the times I wish I could have been there when I needed it the most. I remembered how many times I kneeled in prayer in front of the candles, and of all the friends that had come with me to pray at times, and I can still understand why I love it so much.

I listened to Father Hesburgh give the homily at the all-class mass and stood with everyone else to applaud him when he was finished. I spent too much money at the bookstore but with no regrets. I laughed, I talked for hours, and didn't tear up once. But I came close at the end of the mass as everyone stood, including the oldest alum present (Class of 1930), and sang the alma mater.


Notre Dame, our Mother
Tender, strong and true
Proudly in the heavens,
Gleams thy gold and blue.
Glory's mantle cloaks thee
Golden is thy fame,
And our hearts forever,
Praise thee, Notre Dame.
And our hearts forever,
Love thee, Notre Dame.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful place..........
It's nice you take the time to go back.

EmilyHaHa said...

Even I can't be snarky about this post...

Sarita said...

Wish I could have been there. We sure were blessed with such an amazing experience at Notre Dame. I will never take for granted.