Sunday, March 1, 2009

I'm very thankful for...

Yesterday, my friend D and I made the voyage east to South Bend for a friend's wedding. And boy what an adventure...it was anything but what we expected!

D picked me up on the southside and we made our way to I-90 which runs straight to South Bend...sounds easy right? Well, we had just hit Gary, when the car started to quickly lose speed, and it turned out...we were out of gas!! According to the needle we should have been okay for a few more miles, but oops!! guess not. So what's a girl to do?

D calls her fiance (we were driving in his car) to ask him to come meet us with some gas. He says he'll hop in D's car and be there as soon as he can. Sounds good, right? Except for the fact that he then calls back letting us know that he can't get D's car started and won't be able to get to us to help!! We then just both sort of look at each other like, "Well, what are we supposed to do now?" We weren't close to any exits or anything.

We decided to try and at least get the car completely on the shoulder of the highway as people seem to drive like maniacs on I-90. D popped in into neutral and I got out and pushed and we moved the car into a safer position. I have to say though, crappy situation aside, I was totes proud of myself for pushing a BMW SUV all on my lonesome - especially in a dress!

However, that move turned out to be helpful in more than one way. Just as I was getting back into the car, another car pulls in front of us and a young guy steps out of the car and asks us what's wrong. When we tell him that we're out of gas, and he offers to go get us some and come back!! Practically giddy that this guy is helping us we chill in the car waiting for him to return.

And he does...parking on the other side of the highway and jumping the barrier with a gas can and filling up the tank so we can get to the next gas station. Ridiculously grateful, we ask him much we owe, and he won't let us pay. I give him my card, asking that he at least send us his address so we can send him a card (and a check)...we'll see if I ever hear back! We then proceed onto the wedding and all is well.

But the real moral of this story is that there are still good people out there. Brilliantly generous and genuinely caring people out there. People willing to go out of there way to help, are out there. I am still incredibly grateful to our stranger who could not have been kinder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With so many weirdos and jerks in the world....how lucky that a good samaritan stopped to help !!
We all should pay it forward, when given a chance !
Please post if you hear from the "good guy".

rahree said...

That's awesome - and a good reminder of what we're all capable of, but are usually to nusy/lazy/clueless/afraid to do. Thanks for sharing - that made my day, too!

EmilyHaHa said...

I would not have stopped for you.