Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ashes to Ashes

Today marks Ash Wednesday, the first day in the Lenten season and always a very important mark of time to me during the year. Easter time is one of my favorite - especially this year as my 27th birthday is on Easter Sunday!

But before we get to that, we have 40 days of Lent. Each year since high school, I have tried to give something up as a way to understand the sacrifice that has been made by various groups of faith-filled people throughout the years. Unfortunately, this year I woke up this morning still with no idea of what I would give up! I solicited my sister for advice, but between the two of us - nothing. And it's important to me to make a decision that would mean something, otherwise, what's the point?

Thankfully, I found inspiration in my noontime church service. The pastor, a very "tell it like it is" Brit defined Lent through three things - generosity, prayer, and discipline. Generosity both to the church and others, prayer to God, and discipline in our daily lives. I had never heard of it broken down in such a way, but I really appreciated his way of thinking. He also told us we need to "gird our loins," which I have to say, I also appreciated

He then stated that "mean-mindedness is the death of the human soul." An extremely strong statement, but one that truly resonated with me. Just this past Sunday, I had been at an Oscar party and someone there remarked to me that I seemed to be a very negative person for only being twenty-six. Between these two comments, I felt like I should take the hint and reassess my, what has become, inherent negativity.

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should have a healthy dose of sarcasm and cynicism in their lives. It makes things interesting. But in the past couple years, due to various circumstances and situations, I have come to border on bitter rather cynical, angry rather than sarcastic. I have literally made myself sick from stress and worry.

So that's what I'm giving up for Lent - anger and bitterness. While this is not quantitative goal with which I can measure or demonstrate my success, I am hoping it will lead to a lifestyle change where I no longer think evil thoughts about the woman who walked right in front of me on the sidewalk or obsess about how I think I was slighted in some way.

To that end, I think this is a process that should be shared - in small measures instead of leaps and bounds. So as my daily reminder to keep this Lenten process in mind, each day I will post - in the right column - a great quote, Bible verse, song lyric, etc. To use others' more positive experiences to help me in my quest to be a calmer, happier person.

Please feel free to share with me some of your favorites throughout the coming 40 days so I can in turn share with others!

P.S. The first quote posted is one of my absolute favorites!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This was a beautiful post and I'm sure your "gut" will thank you :)

Love you K

Anonymous said...

Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.

EmilyHaHa said...

Even I can't be snarky on this one. I'm enjoying the bit o' happiness too much...

Anonymous said...

Your "daily" calendar must be different than mine !! I count only 21 bits 'o happiness :( But I enjoyed every one you posted.