Thursday, March 5, 2009

Making fun of Indiana should not be a pastime...

But sadly, for moviemakers, I'm afraid it's too late.

Yesterday, I saw that the preview for Johnny Depp's new movie Public Enemies (about John Dillinger) had been released. Since this movie involves three of my favorite things: violence, history, and violence in history, I am very excited for its arrival in theaters. However, about 1:08 minutes into the preview, all I could think was "Come on!" When told that he was being expedited to Indiana for trial, Dillinger replies, "I have absolutely nothing I want to do in Indiana." I mean I get it, born to a loser of a father in Indianapolis and imprisoned for a time in Crown Point, it's probably not his favorite state, but that had to make the preview!? Of all things important to this movie, Dillinger's distate for Indiana made the list? Okay, fine, I'll live with it. Although, I think eventually he would hate Wisconsin far more than Indiana, but whatever, I won't judge.



Moving onto another movie, The Royal Tenenbaums. While no Rushmore, I still enjoyed the film. Except for one part when Margot Tenenbaum, played by Gwyneth Paltrow, explained that she is adopted and at one point she went to find her family which, she deadpans, "live in Indiana." Cue the the ignorant hicks. (about 10 seconds into the video)



One last example from Mean Girls. Around the 3 minute mark, Rachel McAdams' character makes a remark about a past boyfriend, Kyle, who was "totally gorgeous but then he moved to Indiana." (cue eyeroll) It's Indiana people, not the Bermuda Triangle.



And these are only three of many, many examples of how Indiana has become the movie equivalent of a cultural wasteland where the great unwashed reside and can be referenced conveniently when needed. I'm not sure if it's laziness or prejudice, but I'm sorry, please stop referencing the Hoosier State in such a manner.

So, in my Lenten goal of finding happiness and letting go of bitterness, I offer you the clip below. It is one of the best examples found in a movie of what makes Indiana great. And if you don't know what movie this is from, I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am your friend forever !!!! I still get chills watching "Hoosiers" !!! There is wonderful music in the movie, too.
Long live INDIANA !!

Sarita said...

That's hilarous! In one of my writing classes at ND, my professor said that many writers use Indiana as their "go to state" when they are trying to make their setting kind of in the middle of nowhere or remote. His explanation was that Indiana is one state that really doesn't conjure up any preconceived notions to the reader in the literary world, and apparently same goes for the film world as well!
haha . . . I've been enjoying your blog btw!

EmilyHaHa said...

Oh yes...can we even count the number of times that Law & Order has referenced some fugitive from the law who's from Terre Haute? Crazy...