Sunday, December 6, 2009

Choo-choo

Last week during my sojourn in Indiana for the holiday known as Thanksgiving, Mom and I decided to gallivant about the countryside to satisfy my need for stark pictures that would look good in black & white (I lean towards those as I commence my burgeoning photography career). Lo and behold Mom used her detailed knowledge of what seems like most of southwest Indiana and we ended up at some cool railroad tracks. I immediately exited and took pictures of the empty train station, the tracks, signs, etc.

In pursuit of a great picture, I did exactly what one is not supposed to do - I walked the tracks (this is art, after all). Figuring it would be fine (i.e. trains wouldn't come that often), I walked towards the bridge. All of the sudden, I hear my mom shouting, "Katy...there's a train!" I turned around and saw this engine barreling around the bend in the tracks. I jumped off the tracks, waded through some waist high weeds and got about 20 feet away. And then proceeded to take tons of pictures - definitely some hot photo action time.

But the real moral of this story (which is in fact, not a moral at all), is that one of the greatest rushes in life is standing by railroad tracks as a train goes flying by. The train that day was probably going around 55, and it was so great.

I'm not the train buff that my dear Dad is...probably never will be. However, I do love riding trains, reading about the evolution of the rail system in Great Britain (Anglophilia, what?!), and learning more about really old trains (think Stourbridge Lion). So my Thanksgiving encounter was more thrill than scare...

But what I really want to do is ride in an engine of fa reight train poring on the speed in open country. I think I will make that an unofficial goal of mine. But, if anyone figures out how I could do such a thing before I do, just a reminder that I turn 28 on April 12th, and that would be the best birthday present...ha.


4 comments:

EsseQuamVideri said...

Have you read Atlas Shrugged? All. About. Trains.

And capitalism. And individualism.

WWDD?

(What Would Dagny Do?)

EQV
atthemeadows.com

Marilyn said...

What a fun day and fun pics !! AND and you still listen to your mom ...once in awhile :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
EmilyHaHa said...

Yes, but what would Ayn Rand have to say about Katy the Trains?