Monday, September 14, 2009

The Wisdom of The Princess Bride

As Count Rugen said in this classic film, before being killed by everyone's favorite Inigo Montoya, "If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything."

So true.

Normally this blog doesn't get overly personal, but tonight, my friends is different. I've put on weight since moving to Chicago. A lot of weight...let's not sugarcoat anything. I finally, finally realized this an hour ago as I tried on dresses for our opening gala in a few weeks and nothing fit. And not in the girl way of just finding an excuse to buy something new...literally. nothing. fit.

This gain is due to a lot of factors: eating as a solution to stress; a lot of late nights; having two jobs, taking classes, being involved in the community, and moving - twice; going out with old friends and making new friends; eating on the cheap; McDonald's when it's convenient.

But I'm out of excuses. As well I should be - no more "I'll start eating healthy tomorrow," or "I'll get up early to work out," (when do I ever voluntarily wake up early?), or "I'll give myself a free day to eat whatever I want." Because obviously folks, that's not working.

And if you can't tell so far, I'm pretty angry at myself. At 27, I should be in great shape - instead my clothes don't fit and I have high cholesterol. Stupid, and I know that. In high school I was always worried about being heavier than my classmates, but now I would kill for that body!

So, done. That's it. No more excuses, no more putting it off, in short, no more bull s***. I've always been a strong, disciplined woman and there's no reason to stop now. If I've survived living on two continents, graduating with my masters at 24, moving across the country twice, and working for one of the best orchestras on earth, I can sure as hell put down the donut.

So while this is a battle cry to myself to eat healthy and work out, I am still cognizant of two things 1) I've said this stuff before to no avail and 2) In the morning light, everything could seem fine. But, I feel different - ready for the challenge and eager to prove myself wrong.

So if someone asks me if I'm going to hit up the salad bar, pound the pavement, hit the weights, or take my racquet to the courts, I'll say, "Tell them I'm coming, and hell's coming with me. " (See Tombstone)

5 comments:

Sarita said...

you go girl . . . the first step is ALWAYS toughest! Miss ya lots!

Marilyn said...

Hmmm...maybe all that swearing is weighing you down !!

gregk said...

If there is anyone that can take names and kick ass, it's you. Love the Tombstone quote.

EmilyHaHa said...

You are an inspiration, little sis! You and me both know that now is the time to do it. Maybe somebody named Marlie1971 wants to join in?

KyleJ19 said...

Never start a land-war in Asia