Monday, April 20, 2009

Sisters

I've decided to embrace my twenty-sevenness. I've decided that eight days into this milestone year, that it's going to be a great one. In fact, I'm going to will it that way. Twenty-seven will be less anger, less frustration, less disappointment, and less worry. Twenty-seven will be more adventure, more happiness, more work, and more tomfoolery. But I have a feeling...call it a sense...that I won't be alone in having a super fantastic year.

This past weekend I was in DC for a conference of an organization for which I have started doing some fundraising consulting. As I flew into National and hopped the blue line to Metro Center, I was struck with a wave of nostalgia for my time in the nation's capitol. Most people know that I lived there for year, but I also has interned in DC for two summers previous to that, and some of my best memories are from those times: sharing a studio with someone I barely new (but came to be good friends with), working three blocks away from the White House, outdoor Shakespeare performances, hot summer nights at The Trap, going to Arlington Cemetary on Memorial Day, standing in the back of a cold theater watching the dress for Sweeney Todd, and taking my first ever ballroom dance classes.

My year there as a full-time resident was not quite as successful, no matter how much I wanted it to be. Yet, this past weekend made me realize that I've come a long way since then and now remember more of all of the outstanding, bright memories that I have. One reason, however, that I will always be grateful for my time in DC is because I had the chance to live with my older sister. For the first time, I think, we developed a true, grown-up sisterly relationship, for which I'm truly thrilled because what a ride it has been since. All of the inside jokes, cajoling, scarcasm, and celebrity gossip shared has made me appreciate my sis in a way that I might not have had we not shared a house. Not everyone is lucky enough to get the chance to make that discovery.

Especially when those sisters are truly fabulous. Because, well, we are - from the top of our heads to the tips of our fabulous shoes. We've each had some great milestones this past year between the two of us including being featured in print, TV, and online. Alone or together, we've acted onstage, taken NYC by storm and toured Europe. We've created the Snark Sisters and long may they live. My sis is getting ready to start an exciting new job, bringing the Hall sister fabulousness to a whole new audience.

And we're just getting started. Because we're the Hall Sisters, and that's how we roll.

6 comments:

Vita said...

This is all very touching (truly)...

But what the h? You were in town? Not that I wasn't working non-stop, but let a girl know something!

KT said...

I was in town for less than 48 hours at a conference, so I really had very little free time - otherwise, I totally would have called!!

Anonymous said...

There's nothing here I didn't already know. Even when you both were sweet little girls I knew you would do great things. And I agree, you both have only just begun. Makes a father proud of and happy for his daughters.

I love you both very much!

NEAR said...

Aww, your Dad loves his girls and is so proud of both of you, and isn't afraid to tell you-what a great thing that is right there!! And, now your AN (also in a two-sister family, being the elder) adds my two-cents worth. There is NOTHING like a sister who is also your best friend. It will be there for life even when others fade away (men or women). You have always known my feelings about you and Sissy and your lives. Life is out there for you to grab, you only have to reach. So say we all!!!

Anonymous said...

This makes me cry pa .....

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

Geez, what a bunch of schmaltz!

"I'm dying, I'm living"

"Where are you? There you are. Never leave me again..."