Saturday, March 8, 2008

Picture #8

This past Wednesday and today, I spent a few hours acting as a judge at the Chicago Metro History Fair. This contest, started a managed by an independent non-profit provides a history contest for Chicago-area students in order to encourage the research and production of works about Chicago history. This is a really great organization and I had a fun time judging. While at times, I admit, I feared for our education system, I met three really great students today who put together an awesome project about the Chicago Seven and in the space of 3 minutes managed to discuss apathy of today's youth, the need for independent thinking, and the use of historical events as a resource on how to analyze current events. It made my ex-history major heart go pitter-patter.

Today's judging took place at the University of Illinois at Chicago - this campus is huge!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're soooo much older and wiser now :)

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

Was the famous American Florence Nightengale there? -the DCGF