Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year

So, every New Year's Eve, I attempt a resolution. So far, I think I'm at a success rate of 0 out of 15 successfully completed. Something about committing to 365 days of a specific promise just doesn't do it for me. So, this year I decided, inspired by some of my friends, to commit to something for 30 days, one activity for each month - be it taking something away or adding something new to my life. Below are some of my rejected ideas for the month of January:

1) Getting up at 5AM every day to work out before work instead of after: I quickly abandoned this thought when I realized you couldn't pry me from my pillow with the jaws of life anytime before 6:30 - and even that's a struggle.

2) No more celebrity gossip: Please, that was just a stupid idea.

3) Teaching Sugar some tricks: My cat really does his own thing, and I appreciate that - so no changes there.

4) Learning to knit: I have a scarf fetish, so I thought, hey, this would be awesome - but then I realized that I don't have the patience, or easy access to yarn, and knitting needles.

So, given that an ongoing goal for me has been to become more and more fiscally responsible, I decided to make a big sacrifice, nay, and ultimate sacrifice - one where I will truly be held accountable and test my limits of self-sacrifice and control. One where I will struggle everyday and will change my standard of living.

For 30 days I will buy no DVDS.

Now, stop laughing. Okay, seriously - no laughing. I cling to DVDs like a baby to a bottle. Movies feed my soul - the stories, the characters, the emotions - all of it. But, I am now officially bordering on obsession and something has to be done. So, a pox on you Borders and your excellent foreign language selection. Curses to you Amazon and your easy to use checkout process. Stay away from me BarnesandNoble.com - I know your ways.

That said, I'm not cancelling my subscription to Netflix - let's not get crazy. I will now be turning those movies like somehow mailing them back will lead to a cure for cancer. Good thing I can get two at a time.

So now, throughout Janaury, I will keep you updated on my progress of buying no DVDs - the cold sweats, the imsomnia, the withdrawal - I'll let you know.

Until then dear readers, adieu.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog reads like a movie script !! Good luck.

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

I think Sugar's the one who needs the jaws of life...to pry him away from his food bowl! -the DCGF

Anonymous said...

I think Sugar is just the way he should be ! I just talked to someone who's cat weighs THIRTY pounds ! Yikes..